Market Street is the heart of downtown Inglewood, changing as the city changes. When Inglewood was a farming community in 1908, people travelled to the specialty shops on Market Street and Commercial Street (which became La Brea).
With the 1920s prosperity, the age of automobile came to Market Street. Banks, movie theaters and sidewalks were added. In 1927 chain stores arrived. SH Kress was built at 233 S. Market Street using architecture to create a signature style. JC Penney moved into 139 S. Market Street in 1940. Their store was so successful they expanded it in 1954.
The late 1960’s brought Inglewood Civic Center construction, with city and county facilities built blocks south of Market Street.
During the 1990s a major effort was made to rehabilitate Market Street. Certified as a California Main Street Community Project enabled the developers to qualify for government funding for street trees, wider sidewalks and lighting. The neighborhood saw some upgrades and some shops on the street gained new tenants.
In 2017, the LA Metro will open the light rail Crenshaw line with a station on Florence Boulevard near Market Street. A Senior Activity Center is slated to open on Regent and Locust Streets. Market Street is sure to be transformed again.